Saturday, June 2, 2012

Welcome To My Author's Blog

 Let me introduce myself, I'm Pieter David Gaskin. Creative writing has been a hobby of mine on again and off again since my senior year in high school.

 About two years ago, I played around with an idea for a children's book that would go hand in hand with another hobby of mine, building acoustic stringed instruments. I soon shelved the idea, not seeing at first how I could mix two seemingly opposite hobbies.

 I was driving my wife, author Holly E. Gaskin (http://www.hollygaskin.com/), to an Author's Fair in the town of Inlet, N.Y. when the idea surfaced again. I told her about my idea and she encouraged me to give it a try.

 As she sold her books, I began to write the outline of the story. Within two hours I had a story from beginning to end fleshed out. I began writing the book the next day and had the first draft finished in about two weeks. I have been editing ever since.

 Every illustrated children's book needs an artist. I've struggled with that since the very beginning. I have some talent, but not enough time to develop it for project. I've been through six illustrators. It seems the artistic types lack motivation even when there is cash on hand. I even paid one for the first panel and paid upfront for the next. He disappeared with that panel  and the cash never to return an e-mail thereafter.

 Finally, this past week I met Tim. He is very talented, reasonable in price and very motivated to get the job done.

Adirondack Mountains leaving his Hawaiian home for the first time. The story deals with homesickness as well as the differences and similarities of Hawaii and the Adirondacks.

 I will be post excerpts here as well as keeping you updated on my progress. Please feel free to post any comments or questions.

 So it is here that I announce the publishing of my first book "Adirondack Luau". It will be released this fall.

 The story about and eight year old boy Peleki. He is the son of a native Hawaiian mother and New York state born father. He is sent to visit his grandparents in the  Adirondack Mountains leaving his Hawaiian home for the first time. The story deals with homesickness as well as the differences and similarities of Hawaii and the Adirondacks.

 I will be post excerpts here as well as keeping you updated on my progress. Please feel free to post any comments or questions.


https://www.facebook.com/pieter.gaskin

No comments:

Post a Comment